Friday, February 6, 2015

Review of ISmellGood

...and some Haus of Gloi comparisons because I think they must use a lot of the same fragrance oils.

Perfumes are incredibly personal, so what it smells like on me may not be what it smells like on you. I am also quite picky about my perfumes.

They also had a little tag, but I lost it

ISmellGood is an etsy perfume shop I broke down and bought some samples from recently. I honestly am not sure how I feel about the brand. Every fragrance is a one or two note fragrance and I think for me that is odd because usually part of me getting a perfume is that it is already blended for me. Someone has gone through the actual hard work of designing a concept and blending a fragrance to bring out the best in all of the notes.





Shipping and Packaging

 Fast shipping, very cute presentation, but I think the actual packing used for shipping was the sketchiest I've seen. Nothing was broken, but all my vials were in a bubble mailer, and I guess I've gotten used to the corrugated cardboard boxes packed with some sort of padding.

Price

This order was $12.65 for 5 samples and shipping. Full sizes of any of the perfumes are $10 for 6.5 ml of perfume.







Scent Reviews

Chocolate- It smells just like hot chocolate (the kind made from a mix just in case you like to make yours by hand with cocoa powder or emulsified chocolate) AND I did try it side by side with Haus of Gloi's Vice and I like it more than that scent. Also, being able to smell side by side the single note fragrance oil let me pick up the coffee scented oil in Vice finally. I don't like it though, it smells like coffee tastes and not how coffee smells (the only thing I like about coffee). ★★★★☆

Cardamom Chai- This is all spice, and it lacks the dimension of what actual chai tea smells like, but I imagine that is because cardamom and chai are the only two fragrance notes in it. They are good representations of each spice, but I found after wearing it all day (the staying power is lovely) that the spice notes were a little overwhelming. Again, I wish that these were fully composed perfumes. ★★★☆☆

Pumpkin- This perfume is the main note I dislike from Haus of Gloi's Parkin. So, I guess I'm just not into this particular pumpkin scent? Basically, this smells nothing like pumpkin, spiced, raw, in a pie, or otherwise. It's like a bad Pumpkin Waffle. I have no idea if there are different qualities of pumpkin fragrance oils, but I don't like this one. ★☆☆☆☆

Peach- It smells like fake peach. The scent lacks dimension, but I am going to let it age and see if I like it later on.★★☆☆☆

Cake- I don't know what this smells like, but it isn't cake, and it isn't good. It's basically what I'd expect from Bath and Body Works or another mainstream fragrance company. To be completely fair though, I have yet to find a cake scented anything that I like. ★☆☆☆☆

Final Thoughts

There is nothing to surprise you about this brand. You get the quality and the scents you ordered, there is nothing themed and there are very few notes in each perfume. The labels are adorable, and this might be a good way to experiment with layering.

Overall, I am pretty impressed with the sillage and potency of each perfume. The potency seemed consistent throughout and the sillage is exactly where I like it (I don't have to stick my wrist in your face for you to get a wiff, but unless you are standing next to me you won't have my fragrance of choice imposed upon you). On the scents I enjoyed, the staying power was good and lasted all day without much issue. 

ISmellGood has a good selection of scents in their catalog but not so many that you are going to feel completely overwhelmed. While I feel kind of meh about this brand, I'm sure that there are a lot of people who would really love this shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment