Friday, February 27, 2015

Deep Midnight Perfumes- Sherlock Holmes Sample Set

I thoroughly admit to being actually intrigued by only three of these scents, but they were given to me from my wishlist in a Valentine's Day Exchange and I nonetheless squeed like small child with candy when I saw these. 








Shipping and Packaging

I can't tell you how they came packed or how the shipping was, but this product presentation is lovely. A midnight blue bag, a well designed and befitting business card, and nice labels with an interesting but easy to read font. 

Though I do have to say that these bottles are impossible to open. They have these strange seal types things on them. My Blushie perfumes had a similar seal on them, but they were not so impossible to open. I have to use my silicone jar grips to pry the lids off, and even then it requires quite a bit of force. 


Price

Full size perfumes are 17$
Most samples run 3$ a piece (they come in sets of 5, 10, and then in themed sample packs) 

Scent Reviews

Professor M. ★★

 Company Description: Follow the trail of rich leather, bay rum and pipe tobacco, with a sexy hint of Egyptian musk. 
In the Bottle: No noticeable difference between my skin and the bottle.
On the Skin:  I recognize this smell but I can't tell you what it is, I get some tobacco and then this masculine leaning version of when sweet things dry. Like manly rotten fruit, in a way that is okay. Non-Blind commentary: Oh! I think that's rum, I'm thinking of how fruit smells when it is fermented.
Sillage:  


221 B ★★

 Company Description: oakmoss, tanned leather, hardy woods, crisp basil, amber, and lavender
In the Bottle: Tobacco and flowers, mostly tobacco (I think though what I may actually be smelling is woods and oak because this perfume does not list a tobacco note.)
On the Skin:  On the skin it very much mellows down and morphs into this super complex scent. There is a green aspect, a crisp aspect, the tobacco is always what I smell first but then it fades out and you can get the tanned leather and this elegant floral smell. It is very interesting.
Sillage:  At least on my skin the sillage is pathetic, that may be because my skin amps up the sweet in everything so the base notes aren't coming through, but it has a three inch throw. 
Lasting Time:


A Study In Brown 

 Company Description: A scented story of aromatic copal, nutty tonka bean, oak wood smoke, and toasted sugar. Reminiscent of both far away travels and the comfort of enjoying a warm fire in your favorite library chair.
In the Bottle: A surprisingly nice mild smoke scent, a lot of spice, a little sweetness.
On the Skin:  It smells like a cigarette on me up close, from a distance though it is this very subtle waft of nose singing camping smell. It reminds me of being by the fire and eating some way over-spiced backpacking food while out on the trail.
Sillage:  
Lasting Time: 4 hours

Save the Queen ★★

I am terrified of this supposed fresh grass note. I happen to be very allergic to grass and I am highly concerned that it will either give me a rash or bring back terrible memories. 
 Company Description: A veritable feast of three different and rich honeys (clover honey, basswood honey, raw honeycomb) tempered with dark tea, bergamot, and a faint note of fresh grass.
In the Bottle: FLOWERS with a rich sweetness in the background
On the Skin: During the dry down it briefly smelled like tons of honey, sickly sweet. Then it became a mixture of florals and honey sweetness, which I still found quite cloying.
Sillage:  

No lasting time on this one because my wrist swelled up and itched and hurt. I may very well be insane, or I may actually be allergic to grass scented perfumes.

Miss Sherlock ★★★★

 Company Description: Main notes are: Orris, lemon verbena, geranium, musk, white tea, and woods.
In the Bottle: mostly soap, with mint, and a little floral. I am getting the white tea and a bit of greenness too. Trident did this white tea and mint gum, and it tastes like this smells, but without any of the green or soapy aspects.
On the Skin:  So it smells similar in the bottle to how it does on the skin, but on the skin it started to grow on me. It is very unique and eccentric, but it does give off this vibe of a strong intelligent woman. Honestly though, I think this would smell great on some men and I can see this being a signature scent for some people.
Sillage:   it goes about three feet, if you're having a conversation or sitting next to someone they will probably smell your perfume a little. 
Lasting Time: 4 hours


The Woman ★★

 Company Description: A feminine and enticing blend of seductive Mallow blossom, jasmine, peony, honeysuckle, and sultry Egyptian musk, blended into a sexy opium accord. 
In the Bottle: A very faint baby wipe smell, florals, a bunch of other stuff I have no idea about, but in a really good way? I quite like it.
On the Skin:  Similar to in the bottle.
Sillage: ✧ 
Lasting Time: 4 hours



Final Thoughts

These are such beautiful, unique, and interesting perfumes. The lasting time is average, not bad, but average. I expect to have to apply perfumes at least twice in one day, but I am super impressed with the sillage, some of these even surpass my mainstream perfume roller balls. 

Now, for me personally I won't wear a lot of these scents but this was such a wonderful foray into a world of perfumes I would never have picked out for myself. I will most definitely be ordering more from her in the future.

I learned several very valuable lessons: I hate tobacco/smoke scented anything, I'm not into woods scented things, jar grips will never be useless, and I am allergic to grass even in perfume form.

Also, while a lot of these perfumes got two star overall ratings, they probably deserve three stars. I rate them based on my personal preferences and, while I do take into account practical aspects like sillage and lasting time, ultimately at least one star comes purely from how much I enjoyed the scent.

2 comments:

  1. You do such good perfume reviews, very truthful! I've been considering buying indie perfumes and I always check first to see if you've reviewed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice to hear! Indie perfumes are one of the better decisions I have made in my life. Any brands or scents you were looking for in particular?

      Delete