Monday, February 23, 2015

Let's Talk: Two-Step Liquid Lip Color

A few years ago I discovered the joys of the two-step lip color. I have been using Maybelline and Revlon's lippies interchangeably for quite a while. I tend to lean towards Maybelline because it has a balm on the other side instead of a gloss like the Revlon.

Recently, I have been intrigued by Covergirl's Outlast, and as I have been needing a coral lippie, I was able to justify purchasing it. Upon doing this, I realized that I had never really put any of the brands head to head. Thus, this experiment was born. All of these brands are similar in cost, running right around $7- $10 each at my Walgreens and intended to do the same thing.

We are testing multiple things

- Application
- Staying Power
- Reaction to Lip Liner
- Comfort



 Bare lips for reference above and a showcase of the products I used on the left. For the record, while I would usually use my Elf Lip Lock pencil, the Lord and Berry one is thinner. I am certain they are basically the same thing otherwise.

 Revlon Colorstay  and Rimmel Provocalips have an up to 16 hour wear time, while Maybelline Super Stay and Covergirl Outlast supposedly have up to 24 hours of wear time.








Test #1

Revlon Constant Coral, Covergirl Coral Sunset, Maybelline On and On Orchid

This photo was taken at approximately 5:45PM, just after initial application of color and top coat. I specifically chose three very different colors in order to more easily determine which was which on my lips.

At 6:00 PM I begin eating pizza- pizza is greasy to this is a true test of resilience

Now, at 6:50 PM after having nearly made myself sick on pizza and chocolate, the areas where the lip liner was have come away, and there is inner lip wear, but it is still there.

My conclusion is that two-step lip colors are intended to be used without a lip liner for best results. 

At 8:30 PM I noticed my center lip color, especially on my bottom lip was crumbling away.

When I went to bed at 11:00 PM this is what my lips looked like



And finally, this is what my lips looked like at 9:45 the next morning. The Revlon was the only color I would say lasted for the entire stated time. It is still patchy, but I would count it.




Test #2

Revlon Bare Maximum vs. Rimmel Provocalips in I'll Call You
These brands both have the same lasting time, and I have yet to be able to showcase the Rimmel lippie. At 4 PM I put on one single coat of each of these lipsticks.






At 4:30 PM I started sucking on a lollipop. Minor color transfer from Rimmel onto the stick but no appearance change on the lips





6:30 PM after having eaten dinner: some fading, but it is minimal enough that I think just reapplying the top coat would be fine









9:30 AM the next morning, after a lovely evening of vomiting (TMI I know, but both the colors stayed pretty well). These products both won hardcore, Rimmel is cheaper but I like the top coat the least, the color selection is quite limited, and it is quite a bit patchier as well.

Final Thoughts

So every brand has a different idea of corals. Nudes I understand, most brands have hopped on the bandwagon of making many nude shades because hey, people don't all have the same skin color. Coral though, I get that it is a personal preference, and I agree that there is some shade range but the red Revlon lippie I used is supposed to be coral, and that is not coral, it is a bright red, maybe orange if you want to go there. 

None of them actually lasted 24 hours on my mouth, or even 16 really. I didn't expect them to, at least not on an actual human who eats and talks and occasionally rubs at their mouths.

Ultimately, once I got them on my lips, they preformed relatively similarly with the biggest variation being in lasting time.  I think it is really about what you like to see in color range, initial application, packaging, how you like to apply your lipstick, and what top coat you want that really matters here. So below are my personal pros and cons, so that if you're interested you can get an idea of what you like. 

Covergirl Outlast- $10


Pros
- Has the largest color range
- I like their lip balm the best
Cons
Two tubes for one product 
Lip balm is scented
Crumbled off easily after a few hours 
Application can be a little streaky
Product can get gloopy before drying




Actual Lasting Time- Safely 3 hours
Reccomended For- People who love to change their lip color but still want transfer-proof qualities



Revlon Colorstay Overtime- $10

Pros
Slim Packaging
Solid one-swipe coverage
Held up better than the rest

Cons
Gloss with strange brush for top coat
Most pathetic color range
Don't seem to understand what colors are- that red lippie I have been showing you is supposed to be coral.



Actual Lasting Time- safely 10 hours
Recommended for- people who like shine and staying power


Maybelline Super Stay- $7





Pros
Unscented Lip Balm
Solid one-swipe coverage

Cons
Large container size
Larger applicator
Everything leans pink in their line of colors
Scented color (but it goes away quickly)


Actual Lasting Time- Safely 3 hours
Recommended For- People who want the least expensive transfer-proof lipstick they can change up often.


Rimmel Provocalips- $7


Pros
By far the most comfortable on the lips 
Solid one-swipe coverage
Has staining power

Cons
Lacks complete smudge-proofness
Weird opening and closing mechanism
Scented top coat
Color transfers onto top coat wand even after allowing sufficient drying time.

Actual Lasting Time- Safely 9 hours
Recommended For- People who like staying power, like staining, really want comfort, and enjoy less glossy finishes

No comments:

Post a Comment