Sunday, February 22, 2015

Firebird Bath and Body

Firebird Bath & Body is an Etsy based perfume and bath company. I decided to order from them because I had heard a few good reviews, but they still seemed like a lesser known brand, at least in my circles.

Also, I got a friend of mine to do these reviews with me. We have fairly similar senses of smell, but different skin chemistry. She was privy to the name of the perfume, but not to the notes of the perfume like I am.




Shipping and Packaging

 Another etsy order that came in a bubble mailer,
but the samples were still wrapped beyond that and everything arrived safely. Inside the tissue paper the samples were held inside of a black envelope and then they had all been bound together in plastic.

I like how simple, practical, and professional this packaging is. While it looks homemade, it doesn't look unprofessional.


Price

A full size rollerball perfume is 10$ (.3oz or 9mL). Samples cost two dollars a piece and come in packs of three, which is fine for me because I love to try and review multiple scents, but if you don't want samples in multiples of three I can see how this may be inconvenient. 

 Scent Reviews

Peach Tea ★★

 Company Description: Not a sugary, cloying peach nectar- this fragrance is more reminiscent of the subtle sweet perfume emanating from the fuzzy skin of a just-picked peach on the verge of being perfectly ripe. With a slightly bitter wisp of chilled black tea in the background, and the soft redolence of nearby honeysuckle blooms. Very feminine and summery.
In the Bottle: I'm getting the peach, some apricot but mostly peach, and then tea as the back note, but I can't really discern what type of tea.
On the Skin:  This smells a lot more like apricot black tea to me personally, but still good
Sillage:  
Lasting Time:  4-5 hours

Susannah: 
(In Bottle) "Definitely getting the tea, a little peachiness, but not overly frilly"
(On Skin) "There is a lot more peach on the skin, I get more apricot. The tea is still there, but faintly"

Almond Milk ★★

 Company Description: Soft, sensual, intoxicating: almond, vanilla, musk, a wisp of white chocolate. 
In the Bottle: Very similar to how it smells on the skin, but with no cream smell.
On the Skin:  It is a very full but sickly sweet fragrance. On the skin the vanilla and white chocolate do smell like a very sweet cream, I'm getting another note of what I think is supposed to be the almond, but which doesn't smell like almonds at all. Once it starts to mellow out, the vanilla gets stronger, but it is still a little too sweet for me personally.
Sillage: ✧ 
Lasting Time:  4-5 hours

Susannah: 
(In Bottle) "Its almond and vanilla-y but not very strong"
(On Skin) "Putting it on my skin ruined it- it smells like vanilla aerosol on me"

Black Cocoa ★★★

Company Description: A dark and mysterious blend of rich chocolate, golden amber, cedar, sandalwood, and a wisp of black coffee
In the Bottle: It smells a lot more like incense in the bottle, I'm guessing that is the cedar and sandalwood. There are little whiffs of the chocolate and the coffee once you move away from that.
On the Skin: On the skin it is just this very elegant chocolate scent, I can't truly recognize the other notes but they are there. I wish this perfume had better sillage.
Sillage: ✧ 
Lasting Time:  4 hours

Susannah: 
(In Bottle) "Definitely getting the chocolate, but also getting a blackness, whatever that is."
(On Skin) "On the skin its just another chocolate perfume."

Gingerale ★★★

 Company Description: This fresh and citrusy perfume smells just like a glass of gingerale- you can even smell the bubbles!
In the Bottle: It smells somewhat like gingerale in the bottle, but on the skin it really brings out the scent.
On the Skin: morphs into magical gingerale-from-the-can scent, carbonation and all. Like I just opened up some Canada Dry, bubbles included.
Sillage: ✧ this one stays close to the body, but I think that is for the best. It would be odd to smell gingerale from six feet away. 
Lasting Time: 5 hours, it is still there, but wearing down.

Susannah: 
(In Bottle) "This is gingerale, ginger but with a sparkly lightness. It smells carbonated."

(On Skin) "It smells similar in the bottle but it intensifies on the skin in a good way."

Grapefruit Ginger ★★

Company Description: Tart and fresh and full of bright citrusy sparkle and zing, this scent combines juicy grapefruit and zesty lime with the spicy kick of ginger. 
In the Bottle: I smell more of the lime than the grapefruit, but the citrus mixes nicely with the ginger.
On the Skin: If the scent that was in the bottle was what came out on the skin, I would be golden. On my skin is morphs into the deep floral with the vaguest hint of grapefruit.
Sillage: ✧ 
Lasting Time: 4 hours

Susannah: 
(In Bottle) "Oh! That's nice, first I get the grapefruit and then the ginger"

(On Skin) "There is a lot more grapefruit, it loses the ginger almost entirely. Later it morphed into a floral and grapefruit scent."

Sugar ★★★

Company Description: Orange blossom, vanilla, berries, a hint of anise- but "Sugar" really describes it best
In the Bottle: Very fruity, with a clean tinge to it. Not like detergent to me, but as Susannah enjoys cleaning I can see how she would get there
On the Skin: On my skin it sweetens up a bit but still very much has that clean smell, it isn't that different from the bottle. I much preferred how it smelled on Susannah.
Sillage: ✧  1-1.5ft from the skin, my preferred sillage. 
Lasting Time: 4 hours

Susannah: 
(In Bottle) "Not sugar at all, almost citrusy. Like citrus laundry detergent."

(On Skin) "There it is! It's a very light fruitier sugar. If you don't want to smell like a prostitute, but still want to smell like sugar this is the perfume for you."

Final Thoughts

Quality perfumes at reasonable prices, they all wear pretty close to the skin but not so close its pointless. I am incredibly impressed with this brand and I will be ordering from them again. They have less than a page of scents in their shop, but from the samples I got I feel they put a lot of hard work into making good blends while still having a decent selection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment