Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Monthly Favorites- November 2014

Long time no see! School has been a nightmare, and on the 13th of December I will be manning my very own craft fair table, so I haven't had a lot of time to test out new products. Instead, I've been relying on and rediscovering my old favorites, and you'll see a lot of those in here.

With Thanksgiving tomorrow, Black Friday, and then prepping for Christmas, I thought now would be the best time to post my monthly favorites, before my old stand-bys get lost in the sea of new things.

Maybelline Illegal Length Mascara

 This month's mascara is a rediscovered favorite, and I have to say that after going back to this mascara I realized that I tend to prefer drug store mascaras over high end ones.

Now, this is very much personal preference. I have thick, dark eyelashes, so I don't need an extensive amount of volume, which is what higher end mascaras will usually focus on.

I am terrible about not rubbing my eyes, so aside from appreciating the incredible length it gives me, I also find this formula doesn't smudge easily, nor does it give a lot of fallout.

I also happen to have a friend who is allergic to a lot of cosmetics including mascaras, who swears by Maybelline's mascaras because they are the only drugstore ones that haven't given her an allergic reaction.

Downsides: Only in black (though these don't look like natural lashes so that's really pretty okay), kind of clumpy, especially with regular use you will start to get too much mascara on the wand and need to remove some mascara before application to prevent this

Recommended For: eye-touchers, people who want more length than volume

Cost:This is available at any drugstore and usually in most grocery stores as well, Target has it for 7$, but drugstore.com has it listed at 10$.


Benefit's Gimme Brow Mascara in deep:

Once upon a time, when I was first learning to use makeup, I thought I needed a brow pencil. It should be noted that I have thick, natural brows, and so this was a terrible mistake: I looked like a clown.

However, I do have one sparse patch right at the beginning of my right eyebrow, and this brow mascara is absolutely perfect for filling it in. It is quick, easy, fairly natural looking, and this is a product that is super easy to travel with.

Downsides: There are only two shades, and it isn't great for people with very little brow, as it works best when it can build on existing hairs.

Recommended for: Sparse patches, people with eyebrows that will actually work with the two shades offered by benefit.

Cost: It will usually run you 22$ at a beauty store like Sephora or Ulta

Hourglass Waterproof Mechanical Gel Eyeliner Pencil

 This Hourglass eyeliner, which you may have seen in my Sephora and Ulta haul, is probably my favorite liner. It stays in my waterline longer than any other eyeliner I have ever tried, and has an incredibly fine tip so it is super easy to use.

Also, even as it does wear off, it doesn't smudge the way a lot of other liners will, which is an upside for me, but may be a downside for other people. It isn't intended for smudging.

Downsides: dries and seals quickly so not great for beginners, only comes in black, not retractable

Recommended for: detail work, use in waterline, ultra staying power

Cost: 16$ at Sephora
 WEN Sweet Almond Mint Hair Mask
 This was my very first hair mask ever, and after having tested out several others, this is my favorite. Unlike a lot of hair masks, it can be used on wet or dry hair, and because of that you will find it is more moisturizing and you don't have to waste 20-30 minutes in the shower so you can try and get your hair nice.

It smells like heaven, and is all natural, they have other scents as well.

Downsides: Expensive

Recommended for: People with problem hair, eco-conscious people, people who want a hair mask that can be used on dry hair

Cost: 58$ at Sephora, or on QVC

 Soap and Glory Great Kisser Lip Balm
This is a super moisturizing lip balm, I have it in the vanilla scent, there is also a peach one, they both look tinted in the container, but the coverage is so sheer you won't notice.

Both of these smell amazing and they have just a little bit of shimmer to not only moisturize but also make your lips look shiny and shimmery. Really a your lips but better sort of look.

Downsides: Messy application, a little sticky


Recommended for: lip chap junkies, people who take good care of themselves but perhaps aren't incredibly into makeup, an everyday nice lip look.

Cost: 10$ at Sephora




No comments:

Post a Comment