Friday, December 26, 2014

Haus of Gloi Perfumes

Perfumes are incredibly personal, so what it smells like on me may not be what it smells like on you. I am also quite picky about my perfumes, and for me this is a rave perfume review.

I had heard good things about Haus of Gloi, and so I went online and got a ton of their perfume samples for a collective total of 30$. It came very well packaged with a sweet hand written note and a little candy (which I almost never eat, but the gesture is sweet). They also threw in an extra free sample for me, it's the vial on the far right, and it has a different label design than the others. Haus of Gloi's perfume samples are 2.50$ each, and get free shipping.

 Using perfume samples is not an entirely accurate way of judging the scent of bath and body products because if a scent needs to settle on the skin in a perfume, it is a gamble as to whether or not it will work properly in a different product. There is also the issue of the ingredients in a particular product altering the perfume's intended scent. However, it works a lot better than just going in blind.

















Peach Mama- on me, it smells like regret with the faintest whiff of fake peach. I let it sit on my skin to see if it changed it's scent, I tried covering it up and washing it off. I thoroughly regretted every second I wore it. My little sister described it as vaguely tangeriney whilst she scrunched her nose in disgust. ★☆☆☆☆
- Potency ✦✦✦✦✧


Vice- When I first put it on, I didn't like this.  However, I let it settle on my skin for a minute and it morphs into the smell of powdered hot chocolate with the little dehydrated marshmallows. They say it is based on coffee, and I do get a faint coffee scent, but it is very unobtrusive.★★★★☆
- Potency ✦✦✦✧✧ This was strong enough for me to smell, but it mellowed out quite well. This is where I like my perfumes to be, personally.


Cozy Sweater- This one smells almost detergent-like but not overpoweringly so. It smells exactly the same in the vial as it did on my skin. It isn't something I would repurchase, but if you like clean linen scents, I would give it a shot. ★★★☆☆
- Potency ✦✦✦✧✧


Mango Sticky Rice- I have no idea what mango sticky rice as an actual food would smell like, but I do get both of the notes in this perfume, I'm just not sure how I feel about it, I like the mango smell, but the sticky rice is strange to have in a perfume. ★★★☆☆
- Potency ✦✦✦✦✧


Parkin- This was my added sample, it smells quite sweet and very harvest time autumn-esque. I get notes of cinnamon and a few other spices I'm not recognizing right now. Maybe some pumpkin. I put almost none of it on my skin and it is still quite strong. ★★★☆☆
- Potency ✦✦✦✦✧ particularly with the spice notes, I think I would like this to be softer.


Lychee Milk Tea- It smells very floral, but also very interesting. I would recommend this to people who like traditional perfume scents because while it is unique, it does contain notes that remind me of traditional perfumes. ★★★☆☆
-Potency ✦✦✦✧✧

Rose City- Smells like roses, obviously, but a little more leafy (for lack of a better word) than my preferred body products. I don't think I will be repurchasing, mostly because I don't typically wear rose scented perfume. When I do go for rose scent I go all out, I use my rose cleansing conditioner and a rose body spray all over. However, if you are looking for a bit of a softer or more natural rose scent try this out. ★★★★☆
-Potency ✦✦✦✧✧


Troika- When I first opened the vial, it smelled like marzipan. On my skin it mellowed out, and morphed into an interesting combination of marzipan and florals. It's quite good though. ★★★★☆
- Potency ✦✦✧✧✧ It might be a little on the weaker side, but I think this will really be a hit or miss scent for a lot of people so I can appreciate the lightness.


Satyr- Blackened vanilla and orange are supposed to be the main notes in this perfume. The first time I tried it out, when I was rather sick and perhaps not at my best perfume testing ability, it reminded me more of lemons than oranges. Trying it the second time around I do get both notes, though I'm kind of eh about them together. ★★★☆☆
- Potency ✦✦✦✦✧


Elevensies- Is a hard scent to describe. It evokes the idea of breakfast pastries and tea, but does not truly smell of either. If I had to try and identify the notes, I would say there is some vague lemon and maybe some musk, it's on the sweeter side. ★★★☆☆
-Potency ✦✦✦✧✧


Twice is Nice- It smells heavenly in the bottle, and on the skin it smells a lot like samoas.
★★★★★
-Potency ✦✦✦✧✧


Final Thoughts
This is a sweet company, and for the most part I have been very happy with their perfumes (given that I hate most perfumes, this is pretty miraculous).  The scents themselves don't last exceptionally long though, so you may need to reapply.If you aren't willing to reapply your perfume, this might be an issue, especially since they don't offer roller balls.

 A few of these are very potent scents, you need almost nothing and the smell is very strong.
I'm told you can cut indie perfumes with Jojoba oil, which I may consider doing for some of these. I would also like them in a roller ball (although it has been quite fortunate that the dabber sample vials force me to get at least some perfume on my skin, otherwise I would not have realized that I actually quite like some of these.

I have never been able to truly enjoy sweet scented perfumes before this, and the strength of their perfumes is almost always on point. I find their fruit scents accurate (which was part of my problem with mango sticky rice because I don't like the smell of actual mangoes), but the ones that I tried were paired with strange things which I am not entirely sold on. However, I think this is something that goes hand in hand with the uniqueness of each of the perfumes.

Nothing I have tried out is anything like what I could get at a department store, and unlike your typical fragrances, all the notes in the description are present in the actual perfume.

No comments:

Post a Comment