Saturday, December 27, 2014

Brazen Cosmetics

Yet another indie brand, I don't remember their turnaround time (TAT- basically processing time, but typically used for indies because they actually need to make your product and then pack and ship it) being overly long, but in the holiday receiving season I totally forgot what I even ordered. 


The note on the side explains that she was
out of the shade I ordered and instead replaced
it with two similar shades of the same size. 
It came in a bubble mailer which looked like it had already been used and was closed with a cutesy piece of tape. I think that's adorable and environmentally friendly, but your eccentric grandmother who loves handmade things but also must have fancy packaging in order to see them as being valuable might not appreciate it.

There were several hand written thank yous and notes. One on the bubble mailer, one on the actual packing slip. A lot of indies don't give you a packing slip, but I really happen to like them so this is a bonus for me. 

A 3g petite jar of eyeshadow costs $3.50 this is actually quite cheap compared to other indie brands I have looked at and ordered from. 

The liquid lipstick cost me 8$

The 2g sample of the under eye brightener cost me 2$

 Alright, here is the loot. It isn't exactly a comprehensive representation of the brand but will give both you and me a little bit more of an idea of what to expect.

To be fair though, I chose the most difficult things for indie companies to create- which are matte eyeshadows, liquid lipsticks, and concealer/brighteners.





Everything except the two liquid lipstick samples are in completely clear containers that look quite nice, they also had the heat shrink plastic seals on them and proper labeling of the product and the shade of the product on the container.

 Here is the under eye brightener in light. I did try to swatch it, but it blended in surprisingly well and won't show up on camera. It has a kind of chalky feel, but if it works anything like their matte shadows I imagine I will be impressed.








Carpe Diem Lipstick, Brazen Lipstick
Harmony Eyeshadow, Leading Lady Eyeshadow
The image from their website
Harmony and Leading Lady are the matte shadows I ended up with. I'm fairly certain I chose Melody because I have a friend named Melody but it wasn't a gift so it worked out just fine.

Harmony and Leading Lady are on either side of the spectrum from Melody, and they are impressively strong. These swatches were done with one pass and very little product. On my hand they feel rather chalky and they don't blend well at all, but they stay on and have great pigmentation without a primer.


Adorable labeling and a high quality tube were my first impressions of Catalyst. It was also a lot pinker than I thought I would have ordered- which I was right about, I didn't look at all the pictures in the listing, only the picture on the right.



The swatches she gives do happen to be very close to how the product is in real life though. It is an incredibly metallic light/midtone pink color, absolutely gorgeous. It dried down without losing the finish, and feels comfortable but not like you have a thick layer of goo on your lips. It partially passes the kiss test, because your lipstick will look fine, but your significant other's face won't.

The Brazen (Red) sample I got was rather disappointing. It's not particularly opaque, and it has no luster or metallic finish. Carpe Diem however it vaguely a beige/ballerina pink color with an intense gold finish to it. She also has a shiny red one called wanton which looks absolutely gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment