Thursday, January 8, 2015

January Julep Unboxing

This month the Mavens got a special offer to get a free metamorphic top coat in January's box. This is a maven perk for people who were already signed up for Julep's subscription service. I was very pleased with my box this month, I didn't really settle at all, I am very excited about and have a use for everything in my box.

In the corner there are little junior mints, which I am excited about.

 The first thing I got was this Oxygen Nail Treatment, it shines up your nails, gives them a sheer coat of color, and is supposed to moisturize and strengthen them.

I've never tried anything like this, but I am kind of impressed. It is very shiny and has dried very quickly. My only complaint is that it chips relatively easily, but I will continue to test it and see if it does anything good for my nails (something that will justify the price tag).

 Then I got their Luxe Lip Conditioning Treatment in sheer pink. It is a new product that is supposed to moisturize the lips, give a sheer wash of color, sparkle and shine, and the tip is supposed to instantly improve circulation because it is made out of copper, zinc, and aluminum (called Zamac)

The pigmentation is absolutely terrible, this can't even be called a sheer wash of color, however, the sparkle and shine is true and it seems moisturizing enough for me. However, the major selling point on this for me is that it is very shiny and glossy without feeling sticky at all, so if you hate how stickly lip gloss feels, try this.
 Margit- the nail polish. This is a gift for a friend's mother as she has been very good to me in the past, so it isn't swatched or anything.
 Finally, the metamorphic top coat. I was super excited to try this. Mine came in the color Tilda and I will show you some swatches so you can see how it is.


 On my thumb, you can see the sort of green shift and microglitter in the top coat on it's own.

I then used one coat of four different colors on each of my fingers. It says it is meant for all polish colors, so I wanted to see if it would improve a large enough range of colors that I think this is a reasonable claim.

I understand the need to advertise it that way, but I think for a little bit more honesty some tips on how to maximize the beauty of your top coat would have been nice (ex; try it on dark colors). I think doing things like that adds a level of transparency to the company without seeming unprofessional or failing to promote the product.



Of course, that's also why reviewers who can talk about products and give out both pros and cons are so important.

Anyway, off of my tangent: I used one coat of a dark cream finish polish, a light microglitter polish, a light cream (although it does have a little metallic sheen) color, and a dark microglitter color.










Here are the finished results, with one coat of the metamorphic polish. It did the most on the cream finish colors, made the colors seem more vibrant and added some dimension. I feel the effects of the top coat were drowned out in the microglitter poishes, and that it looked best on the dark green.

My reccomendations would be to use this on darker cream finish colors for best results. However, it might also help to consider the undertones of your polish so that the glitter shift compliments the color your are using on your nails.



No comments:

Post a Comment