Thursday, July 9, 2015

Sixteen92 The Circle Review / Summer Collection Review

**Disclaimer that perfumes are incredibly personal and skin chemistry is a fickle mistress. Your personal perfume experience may differ from my own even with regards to lasting time.**


I gave in and purchased Sixteen92's the Circle subscription. For those of you who don't know, Sixteen92 has recently come out with a yearly subscription called The Circle. It is 85$ up front, registration opportunities open yearly. Shipments go out quarterly, and those registered get sent samples of all of the samples for that particular seasonal collection, and one other perfume sample. Registration for the year is closed, but this is still a review of the summer collection and the quality of sixteen92 packaging.

This is a super late review, but as the summer collection is out, I thought it was worth it all the same.

I got a packing slip (yay!), a bracelet extra, and a card explaining all the scents and giving me a unique code for 30% off anything from the summer collection. 

The perfumes are wrapped in corrugated cardboard and sealed with a black rubber band. It is both cute, cost effective, and functional and I am very impressed. 







Here is a shot of the back of the card and the baggie that was inside of the carboard. The perfumes sit inside very snugly so they don't break or move around and the label looks stamped, but it fully legible and doesn't smudge or anything, I like it. 









Theda ★★

If you had the skin chemistry for this, I think this would be a great perfume. 

Company Description: Tart sangria infused with ripe summer fruits (white peach, nectarine, berries, citrus), dark vanilla, wild vines, rose absolute
In the Bottle: Despite never having had sangria, it smells exactly as I expected. Wine and summer fruits. 
On the skin: ...and it became smarties and axe. As it dries down it kind of just smells like moss
Sillage: 
Lasting Time: 4 hours


Paper Moon ★★

Not my personal fragrance of choice, but I can see some people really liking this, especially if you enjoy the smell of moss. 

Company Description: soft vanilla musk, benzoin, oakmoss, trailing ivy, peach blossom, tea rose
In the Bottle: a gentle peach scent, some light floral, and a faint wisp of moss. 
On the skin: a touch of sweet fruitiness, but mostly just moss at first. As it dries down the peachy floral comes out more up close, but moss is still the first thing I note. To me it seems like a slightly feminine leaning unisex scent. 
Sillage: 
Lasting Time: 4 hours


The Beautiful & Damned ★★

Company Description: Sparkling pink grapefruit, strawberry, raspberry and currant with soft violet gardenia and Tahitian vanilla absolute. 
In the Bottle: It smells like fruit. Not quite like fresh fruit, but really good fake fruit. However, it has a greenness to it that smells more natural and helps tone down the fruit scents just a little but not so much that fruit scent lovers would be disappointed. 
On the skin: Patchouli and indistinct fruit. 
Sillage: ✦ my mother could smell it all the way across the kitchen from me. 
Lasting Time: 4 hours


Eternal Return ★★

Susannah is guest hosting this perfume review, because I am allergic to grass and thus cannot review this fragrance for you. She absolutely adores this fragrance, and we have a similar sense of smell, but different sense of taste. 

Company Description: Peat moss and damp garden soil. Tomato leaf, beetroot, grass, lavender spikes, galbanum, sun-warmed oak bark. 
In the Bottle: It smells exactly like a vegetable garden. A true unisex scent. I can actually smell the tomato leaf. 
On the skin: 
Sillage: 
Lasting Time: 4 hours



Blood and Honey ★★

If you adore honey and honeysuckle and want to broadcast that to the world, you will love this perfume. I don't like my perfumes that strong, and I want them to be a little more nuanced.  

Company Description: blood orange, wildflower honey (vegan), pale amber, honeysuckle
In the Bottle:  All honey suckle, maybe some amber deep within the vast abyss of honeysuckle
On the skin: Okay, the honey suckle settles a little on the skin, and some honey comes out. If I smell my wrist up close, there is the faintest wisp of blood orange. 
Sillage: 
Lasting Time: 4-5 hours


La Llorona ★★

La Llorona is the newest edition to the general catalog. For those who don't speak Spanish or don't know the history of the name, it translates to "the crying woman". It is an old Hispanic legend and if you are into that kind of thing like me you can read about it here

Company Description: Bulgarian and Egyptian rose absolute, pink and white pepper, pink grapefruit, wisteria, cashmere wood, pale amber
In the Bottle: Like citrus fruit and real silk 
On the skin: Very similar when wet, a little more like citrus zest than citrus fruit. As it dries down I get more wood and roses but that fruit really keeps is nice and light for summer. By the end of the four hours the smell was still on my wrist, but it lost all its nuance and just smelled like smarties on crack. 
Sillage: 
Lasting Time: 4 hours


Final Thoughts

The summer collection wasn't really for me. It didn't help that I was allergic to one of the fragrances. The new general catalog scent was my favorite, and while I will wear it again, I don't see myself buying a full size. However, I am very much looking forward to the fall collections, as it seems Sixteen92 loves earthy and spicy scents which bodes well for the seasons of pumpkins, cinnamon, and peppermint yet to come. 

From this collection it seems that Sixteen92 is a brand that blends their perfumes to smell good in the bottle, so its usually better if you have skin chemistry that doesn't change the perfume too much, unlike say Haus of Gloi where I hate 99% of their perfumes in the bottle and only like them after they settle into my skin. 

These are well blended perfumes with high quality ingredients, they last an okay amount of time, and they largely smell like their description. I approve of this brand, and would generally recommend this collection to anyone who likes earthy scents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment