Saturday, July 18, 2015

Birchbox July 2015 Unboxing

Overall, the box this month was pretty good for me. It was worth my ten dollars even if my overall opinion of this box was "okay".

We'll start with the actual box. I didn't love it, and I didn't hate it.
 The theme of this month was Go Bold which makes sense with the packaging and neon yellow-green tissue paper. I'd say the beachy wave spray and the brightly colored lipstick samples lived up to the theme, while the other products were seasonally appropriate.

Another okay.


Benefit has a deal in the Birchbox shop where if you purchase a Benefit product you can get a deluxe sample of the black They're Real mascara or the black Push-Up liner for free using the code REALLASHES or REALLINER. The inside of the card is an advertisement for Benefit's new colored version of these products, available in the Birchbox shop.




There was no pillow box this month. Which is fine by me, but an odd change since I'm used to getting one even though I never really saw it as a necessary or even logical thing. I'm expecting to get 5 samples. Putting some of the 5 samples into a pillow box doesn't make them a bonus gift.


Birchbox has a way of giving me lots of things that I need and am too lazy to buy. Take for example the winter and spring months where they loaded me up on hair masks, I was almost out of my current hair mask and didn't need to buy a new one for months because of Birchbox. Now, they've given me two different face sunscreen samples, as if they magically know that I am out of face sunscreen and have been using CC creams every day because they are the only face sunscreen I currently own.

 This product is Daisy Approved. 



   I'm going to be honest here and tell you that I was most excited about this box because they promised me a Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick sample.  I'm working on a Liquid-to-Matte lipstick post similar to my Two Step Liquid Lipstick post and as such need to collect a wider variety of brands. Stila was one of the ones I didn't have. 

It is a super bright pin-up red color from a brand of lipstick I didn't have and was getting ready to shell out 20$ to buy, and as exciting as that is I find it even more exciting because I already own an exact dupe for this product in my collection (Sephora Cream Lipstain in Always Red) so I know that I don't need to buy more of these unless they have a shade I really want.


Daisy Approved 





 Birchbox has a love affair with Dr.Brandt that I just don't understand and can't approve of. Because of them I have tried a lot of Dr.Brandt products and I haven't liked a single one of them. Honestly, I don't need a new exfoliant and I'm just going to pass it on to someone who will actually use it.



Coola Setting Spray. This will be my third setting spray and I'm excited to test it out because I have yet to find one I really love. Even Skindinavia's setting spray hasn't stolen my heart.

Coola is known for being an organic all natural brand, and this product has SPF 30 in it. As a super pale child I am hopeful for this product because SPF is my life in the summer.



Daisy Approved 
Finally, this super adorably sized Oribe beachy wave spray. I've only tried out one of these before and I didn't really like it but this is a high end product, so it might work out. I'm going to try it.








Value and Personal Value

Value is determined using the price per ounce of the full sized product multiplied by the amount of product in the sample unless otherwise stated. 

MD Solar Sciences- 4.42$
Stila Lipstick- Going by the 20$ for the set of three on the Birchbox shop the value is 6.67$
Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion- 9.75$
Coola Setting Spray- 7.20$
Oribe Beachy Wave Spray- 4.59$

Total Value= 32.63$ which works out to be more than three times the cost of the Birchbox itself. 


Personal Value is determined by how much I would be willing to pay for each of these samples. 

MD Solar Sciences-  2$
Stila Lipstick- 5$
Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion- 0$
Coola Setting Spray- 5$
Oribe Beachy Wave Spray- 5$

Personal Value= 17$ which is still almost twice the cost of the box, so I'll take it. I ended up with two products I am excited about, one I'm going to try, and one that I needed and was lacking in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment