Sunday, April 5, 2015

Relatively Small Nyx Soft Matte Lip Cream Review

I know these are old, but as they have persevered through the ages (there are vlogs about the soft mattes going back to at least 2010) I figured there must be something good about them.

I had originally tried Nyx's matte lipstick and I hated it. It was incredibly drying and patchy, I'm already on the fence about traditional lipstick tubes and this was a terrible combination of two things I'm rather wary of.


At first I was completely enamored with the soft matte lip creams because they were less drying, in a packaging I preferred, and had a similar scent to the butter glosses (I also hate lip glosses). However, as the novelty of them wore off and I went about trying the thousands of other lipstick options in the world I realized they really weren't that great.

Swatches

 The hand swatches are just one swipe, the lip swatches were 2-3 swipes on bare lips, no primer or liner.


Sydney- supposed to be lavender but it looks more pink to me. Not that that is a bad thing because it makes it more wearable but I love the idea of pastels and not just vampy lip colors. This color looks beautiful on the hand swatch but I just don't like how it turned out on my lips.


Istanbul- the color on the tube does not match the color of the actual product. I expected this to be the color of Milan.  You know how if you make a line with a white board marker and then go back over it the color comes up? Well, Istanbul did exactly that which is why my edges suck particularly bad.



Milan- Yet another color inconsistency, this is a hot pink and I expected it to be the color of Istanbul. It feathered and bled quite a bit.

 Ibiza- An orange red, true to color. Very pretty but also bleeds like no other.
 Copenhagen- A gorgeous color, but its semi-sheer so the color of your natural lips will change how it looks on your lips. In this case the other creams stained, which is why Copenhagen looks more red or maroon.

Product Break-Down

Advantages
- Affordable at <6 a="" p="" piece="">- Come in a HUGE variety of colors
- A little more moisturizing because of its cream form
- doe foot applicator is a little more precise than your traditional tube

Disadvantages
- Shade discrepancies (tube does not always match actual product color
- Bleeds
- The smudgery of this lip product should be illegal. I am super clumsy, and this product just likes to get all up in your business. Nyx Soft Matte lip cream is that one friend you give your phone to so that they can look at a single picture who then feels like they can just keep on scrolling.

Notes
- Darker shades tend to stain
- Smells sweet like a decent artificial cupcake scent, only slightly different from the Butter Glosses
- Lighter shades especially last like 3 hours at the most (not counting residual stain)
- Never really sets up, it is very much a lipstick, it transfers though it does dry down some so that it transfers less.

Final Thoughts

If I were to give this a star rating, it would get 3 of 5. It's not a bad product, and if you think it looks interesting go ahead and pick one up, but at least for me personally it isn't worth all the hype its getting. I can see how there are people out there who would love it though, because it is an affordable, less drying matte lip color and if you are willing to keep up with the maintenance, these might be a great option.



No comments:

Post a Comment